Safety Analyst - Autonomous Driving
At Research and Development you will be a key contributor to the next generation outstanding luxury cars from Volvo. Together with other engineers from around the world, you and your team will create innovative human-centric car technology that makes life less complicated and more enjoyable for people. Are you interested in being part of an experienced team in the development of our next generations of Driver Assistance, Active Safety and Autonomous Driving systems? Do you share our passion for people, the environment and our urge to create a superior driving experience? Then Research and Development is the place for you to prosper!
The automotive industry is moving towards the deployment of autonomous vehicles at a very fast pace, with Volvo Car Corporation (VCC) planning to offer fully autonomous (level 4) car in the nearest years. Testing, verification, and validation of autonomous driving (AD) technology is crucial to ensure consumer safety. However, the existing methods used for testing active safety technology in the production of non-autonomous vehicles are not sufficient for the case of AD. It is estimated that validation methods commonly used for Active Safety systems would require driving billions of kilometers to reach the acceptable safety level. This would need to be repeated at each change of software and sensor configuration, which would make the verification and validation of AD impractical if not impossible. A novel strategy for AD validation, based on virtual testing in a large variety of identified critical traffic situations, is needed in order to enable the safe deployment of AD vehicles in the near future.
Driver Assistance and Active Safety CAE organization consists of several teams, together supporting the Active Safety department at Volvo Car Group by developing and maintaining virtual test environments for sensors, software and systems for AD vehicles (model-, software-, hardware- and vehicle-in-loop). We also support test engineers in performing test activities in the named environments, develop test strategies with strong focus on virtual testing, and conduct research in spearheading test methods for AD.
An AD Safety Analyst is a person with strong background in statistics, analytical mind and exceptional ambitions, who will take the challenge of answering the question: what are the most critical situations that autonomous vehicles will encounter after driving a billion kilometers?
We envision that this question can be approached by identifying the critical scenarios for autonomous driving vehicles from the real driving data, and consequently by applying statistical methods to evaluate the occurrence rates of more severe instances of the same scenario type. The safety of the autonomous driving vehicles will be consequently evaluated by simulating the most “critical” scenarios – the rarest and the most severe ones.
Teamed up with the research team from the Autonomous Driving analysis and verification section, the AD safety analyst will:
- study relevant frameworks (e.g. traffic conflict theory)
- apply the existing frameworks to the real-world AD data in order to identify critical scenarios and evaluate their occurrence rate
- Using simulations, evaluate the performance of the AD systems on the identified critical scenarios
- Further develop the frameworks in order to adapt these to the AD case.
- Master or preferably PhD degree in Mathematics, Applied Physics or similar, with excellent academic records and documented achievements in mathematical statistics or topics heavily involving statistical analysis (preferably publications)
- Hands-on working experience in the statistics and data analysis software tools
- Collaboration skills proven in work or PhD studies. Successful projects involving collaboration between industry and academia are meritorious
- Traffic safety analysis and traffic simulations are meritorious
- Fluent in English (written and spoken)
- Quick learner, eager to acquire new skills and new knowledge
- Good communication and social skills and a willingness to actively participate in the team’s common matters
- Strong analytical abilities, since job requires ingenuity and creativity
- Pro-active interpersonal and communication abilities
- Self-motivated and deliver on time, on target and with quality
- Integrity, courage and personal energy
- Service minded
Application and contact
Applications will be evaluated continuously, so apply today! But no later than July 14 , 2018.
Append your top three publications/reports and your master degree grades to your application.
Write a short reflection (maximum half of A4 page ) on the AD verification strategy: how do you want to attack the AD verification challenge?
For questions regarding the position you are welcome to contact Yury Tarakanov, Manager Active Safety and Driver Assistance HIL, firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have questions regarding the recruitment process, please contact Feven Selassie, Senior Recruiter, email@example.com
Please note that we do not accept applications via email!
About Volvo Car Group
The future belongs to those who are empowered by a great idea and have the ability to carry it out. At Volvo Car Group, our vision is clear: "To be the world's most progressive and desired luxury car brand" by simplifying people's lives. We have bold targets when it comes to innovation, sales and customer satisfaction and to make this happen, we need talented people onboard. People with passion, energy, business sense and the drive to innovate. People that want to create the next generation Volvo cars in a global, dynamic and respectful environment. We will support you to reach your full potential. Join us
on this exciting journey into the future.