Master Thesis – Improving the Daylight sensor
Category: We expect you have a decent knowledge of programming (for example C++, python or equivalent)
Scope: 1-2 student completing 30 credits (20 weeks) each
A surveillance camera usually has a so-called Day/Night functionality. In short this means that you have two different modes (Day or Night mode) that the camera can go into. When there is enough visible light the camera is in Day mode and the images from a camera shows color information. In order to show colors correctly the IR-light needs to be removed, this is done by a filter that removes IR-light. When there isn't enough visible light, the camera will enter Night mode, the filter is removed and IR-light is allowed to come into the camera, moreover IR-LEDs are turned on such that the camera can see in the dark. In Night mode it is not possible to get correct color information, hence the image becomes black and white. The problem in Night mode is to know when the camera should enter Day mode again, i.e. we need to know how much visible light there is.
Many AXIS cameras solve this problem by having an external light sensor that always has a filter that is removing the IR-light. Thus, the external light sensor knows how much visible light there is and gives that information to the camera and a correct decision can be made when going to Night into Day mode.
The current solution for the external light sensor is very simple and have some major drawbacks.
The scope of this thesis is to develop and evaluate a solution that could potentially solve the drawbacks that the external light sensor has and improve the Day/Night functionality for future AXIS cameras.
Learn how a surveillance camera operates, in particular the Day/Night functionality.
- Investigate possible solutions that improves the external light sensor with the help of experienced engineers at AXIS.
- Evaluate the solution to find the pros and cons.
- Develop an affordable solution.
OK, I am interested! What do I do now?
You are valuable to us – how nice that you are interested in one of our proposals! There are a few things for you to keep in mind when applying.
- Applications are accepted in both Swedish and English, and you apply via the proposal advert.
- The announced theses are open only to students affiliated with a Swedish university/college either directly or via an exchange program.
- When the thesis proposal states that it includes two students working together, we would like you to apply in pairs. In these cases, send one application each but make sure to clearly state in your application who your co-applicant is. If you have any questions regarding this, please do not hesitate to contact us.
- Please attach your CV and University/college grade summary.
Find out more from our Engineering Manager, Martin Hellmark (Martin.Hellmark@axis.com) or Image Engineer Axel Thuresson (Axel.Thuresson@axis.com)
About Axis Communications
Axis enables a smarter and safer world by creating network solutions that provide insights for improving security and new ways of doing business. As the industry leader in network video, Axis offers products and services for video surveillance and analytics, access control, and audio systems. Axis has more than 3,000 dedicated employees in over 50 countries and collaborates with partners worldwide to deliver customer solutions.
For more information about Axis, please visit our website www.axis.com .
Sweden - Lund
Telephone: +46 46 272 1800
Telephone: +46 46 272 1800