Master Thesis - Adaptive Sound Volume in a IP-based Loudspeaker Environment
Category: Computer Science / Signal Processing / Audio
Scope: 2 students completing 30 credits (20 weeks) each
Axis develops IP-based loudspeaker system where each device contains a microphone or has the possibility to connect an external microphone. In environments such as retail shops, resturant, train stations etc. it would be benenficial to adapt the output volume of the speakers according to the current ambient sound level in the environment which the loudspeakers have been installed. For instance, at a busy period in a resturant, the output volume would have to be increased since the ambient sound level have increased.
The loudspeaker system needs to be able to adapt the output volume continously even though the system is playing music or announcements. This can be accomplished using an adaptive filter which suppresses the loudspeakers ‘own’ sound in the signal recorded by the microphone (same functionality as used in full-duplex intercom solutions). The output volume adaptation for the loudspeaker environment shall be made using the input from several microphones as reference signals.
- Evalute algorithms/metrics for estimating the ambient sound level. Open-source echo cancellers can be used to remove the loudspeakers own signal from the microphone signal. Filters which removes unwanted noise due to room acoustics, wind noise etc. will likely be needed.
- Evaluate if the loudspeakers internal microphones can be used for estimating the ambient sound level and evaluate where external microphones should be placed in order to obtain a good estimate of the ambient sound level. Evaluate how many microphones are needed for obtaining a accurate ambient sound level estimate for different environments.
- Develop algorithms which can take several ambient sound level estimates and calculate a desired output volume. It shall be possible to configure parameters such as volume output slew rate, desired output volume range, sensitivity etc.
OK, I am interested! What do I do now?
- You are valuable to us – how nice that you are interested in one of our proposals! There are a few things for you to keep in mind when applying.
- Applications are accepted in both Swedish and English, and you apply via the proposal advert.
- The announced theses are open only to students affiliated with a Swedish university/college either directly or via an exchange program.
- When the thesis proposal states that it includes two students working together, we would like you to apply in pairs. In these cases, send one application each but make sure to clearly state in your application who your co-applicant is. If you have any questions regarding this, please do not hesitate to contact us.
- Please attach your CV and University/college grade summary.
For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org
About Axis Communications
Axis enables a smarter and safer world by creating network solutions that provide insights for improving security and new ways of doing business. As the industry leader in network video, Axis offers products and services for video surveillance and analytics, access control, and audio systems. Axis has more than 3,000 dedicated employees in over 50 countries and collaborates with partners worldwide to deliver customer solutions.
For more information about Axis, please visit our website www.axis.com .
Sweden - Lund
Telephone: +46 46 272 1800